Posts filed under ‘Move More Challenge’
Earlier this year, I participated in a challenge called Walk Kansas. The purpose of Walk Kansas is to encourage participants to add more activity to their daily lives by aiming for 150 minutes of exercise each week. The challenge also recommended that members aim for five servings of fruits and vegetables each day, and incorporate more whole grains.
The motivating part of Walk Kansas was its set up as a team challenge. My team was captained by my sister-in-law, Janelle, and included Janelle’s two sisters as well as some friends. Each week, Janelle sent out a motivating email to each of us, and we reported our weekly success (or failure) to her. It kept us all accountable through the eight weeks of the program.
When the eight weeks was up, all of us felt that we needed something more. All of us had come to look forward to the weekly butt-kicking Janelle delivered through email, even if some weeks it was more tough love than anything. Janelle had also incorporated some mini-challenges throughout the eight weeks, some of them focused on food, while others focused on activity.
As a result, Janelle and I decided to adopt our own program. The Move More Challenge is open to all who want to participate. (Click on Move More Challenge to view and join the Facebook group.) The first eight-week session starts today, June 1st. Here are the details for week #1:
MOVE MORE CHALLENGE
The first leg of this challenge will run 8 weeks. If we all want to continue, we’ll reset and do it again when it’s over!
Here’s how the challenge will work:
1. Your goal each week is to log AT LEAST 180 minutes (3 hours) of exercise. This can be six days of 30 minutes, 3 days of 60 minutes, or whatever increments works for you. Want to do more than 180 minutes? Go for it!
2. Each Monday, post your total minutes on the group wall. Even if you fell shy of 180 minutes, post your totals anyway. The point is to keep us all accountable!
3. We will have a mini-challenge every week. Each Sunday, I’ll email you a message with the upcoming mini-challenge.
ABOUT THIS WEEK:
Due to the holiday, the first week will be a short one! (Sorry about that.) This week will run Tuesday-Sunday. Keep that in mind as you’re planning your exercise for the week!
This week’s mini-challenge:
1. Take out a piece of paper.
2. On your paper, I want you to write two goals. The first goal is what you want to achieve by 4th of July. This gives you five weeks to accomplish your first goal.
3. Your second goal should be what you want to accomplish at the end of 8 weeks. Where do you want to be by the last week of July? This could be a specific amount of weight lost, a number of miles you want to run, or a specific number of minutes you want to workout each week.
4. At the bottom of the paper, write this paragraph: I, (YOUR NAME), commit to moving more. I will exercise at least 180 minutes each week for the next eight weeks. I will take the time to take care of myself so that I can better take care of my family. This time isn’t just for me; it’s for everyone I love. SIGN AND DATE.
Join us anytime throughout the eight weeks. It’s never too late to start moving more! Click here to join the Facebook group.